Sunday, September 6, 2009

9/6 The zen of TBI

Chuck has an "impaired" sense of time which means he exists only in the present moment. He may not remember what transpired yesterday or ten minutes ago and he is not likely to think ahead to what will happen, for instance, when he gets up and starts walking toward the door with no supports.

I am learning to live in the present moment with no speculation about past or future and I'm finding life richer. I took a long bike ride last night near the facility and, instead of doing my usual timed hour of exercise, I simply rode my bike, like I did when I was a kid, looked around and enjoyed myself. I turned down streets that looked inviting, I looked into people's yards and worlds, I sailed down hills. I didn't check the time.

All day long, Chuck smiles at me and hugs me like he's seeing me for the very first time. All day long, I let go of a lot of other stuff and let myself live where Chuck is, smiling, loving and being.

1 comment:

  1. wow. this post really touched me. we are forever thinking in the past or concerned about the future. this post gives new meaning to living in the moment. you are such a beautiful writer, auburn. you give such unique and fun visuals. so uplifting. love you. Lynn

    ReplyDelete